Did you resolve to eat healthier this year and are looking to get on the Kale craze wagon? Well, this recipe from writer and cook Sassy Radish, is the perfect way to do just that and also stay cozy for these Polar Vortex nights! (on a side note, surprising fact about this Polar Vortex : all 50 states showed temperatures below freezing this week – even Hawaii!)
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 large carrots, finely diced
1 large celery rib, finely diced
1 cup (200 grams) navy beans
One (2-inch) piece Parmesan rind
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
1 preserved lemon, preferably homemade
1 1/2 tablespoons harissa, or to taste
Juice of 1 lemon, plus additional to taste
1 to 2 cups chopped Swiss chard, kale, or baby spinach
1. In a large pot set over medium heat add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot and warm until the oil shimmers. Add the onion, carrot, and celery, stir to combine, and cook, stirring, until the onions and celery are soft, about 4 minutes. Make sure that the vegetables do not caramelize – if the heat is too high; lower it to sweat the vegetables.
2. Add 12 cups of water, the beans, parmesan rind, and salt, and bring the liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes (see note on using presoaked beans). Season with salt and stir.
3. Remove the flesh from the preserved lemon and discard. Finely dice the rind. Add the rind and harissa to the soup, and stir to dissolve harissa. Cover and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and add the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Add the chard or kale and let the soup simmer for 5 minutes before serving. [If using spinach instead, divide spinach across bowls and ladle the soup over the leaves.] Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
- Charles F. Sargent, 68, of Northborough November 28, 2014
- Northborough: Assabet Valley Mastersingers to perform 'Messiah Sing' November 28, 2014
- Hudson AMVETS deliver dinners for 25th holiday season November 28, 2014
- Frank L. Krouse Jr., 80, of Northborough November 29, 2014
- Westborough to switch to one polling venue November 28, 2014
- Westborough: 'Illustrated History of Edgar Allan Poe' author at Tatnuck Bookseller November 28, 2014
- Hudson AMVETS deliver dinners for 25th holiday season November 29, 2014
- Southborough: Library hosts Hollis Seamon as part of author series November 28, 2014
- Southborough: Pilgrim Church to host Handel's Messiah performance November 28, 2014