Did you resolve to eat healthier this year and are looking to get on the Kale craze wagon? Well, this recipe from writer and cook Sassy Radish, is the perfect way to do just that and also stay cozy for these Polar Vortex nights! (on a side note, surprising fact about this Polar Vortex : all 50 states showed temperatures below freezing this week – even Hawaii!)
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 large carrots, finely diced
1 large celery rib, finely diced
1 cup (200 grams) navy beans
One (2-inch) piece Parmesan rind
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
1 preserved lemon, preferably homemade
1 1/2 tablespoons harissa, or to taste
Juice of 1 lemon, plus additional to taste
1 to 2 cups chopped Swiss chard, kale, or baby spinach
1. In a large pot set over medium heat add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot and warm until the oil shimmers. Add the onion, carrot, and celery, stir to combine, and cook, stirring, until the onions and celery are soft, about 4 minutes. Make sure that the vegetables do not caramelize – if the heat is too high; lower it to sweat the vegetables.
2. Add 12 cups of water, the beans, parmesan rind, and salt, and bring the liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 hour and 45 minutes (see note on using presoaked beans). Season with salt and stir.
3. Remove the flesh from the preserved lemon and discard. Finely dice the rind. Add the rind and harissa to the soup, and stir to dissolve harissa. Cover and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and add the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Add the chard or kale and let the soup simmer for 5 minutes before serving. [If using spinach instead, divide spinach across bowls and ladle the soup over the leaves.] Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
- ShopLocalMA.com to launch March 1 January 29, 2015
- Northborough's Rutan to perform locally with 'Dartmouth Aires' January 29, 2015
- Marlborough police log, Jan. 30 edition January 29, 2015
- ShopLocalMA.com to launch March 1 January 30, 2015
- Northborough police log, Jan. 30 edition January 28, 2015
- Assabet Valley Mastersingers to present 'Annelies' January 28, 2015